Friday, May 28, 2010

Mary


 Snap Judgments:

I was making a 4 hour drive between VA & PA. A big brunch was waiting for us at my sister's house when we arrived. Of course when leaving for a road trip, mom never has time for a shower after getting everyone and everything ready to go. Halfway through the trip, we stopped at McDonald's to stretch legs, have a potty break and get a snack. Leaving the winter coats in the car because the thought of bundling and unbundling a 7 & 3 year old was too daunting, we dashed into the restaurant.
I ordered a McDonald's big breakfast. Eggs, Biscuit, piece of sausage, and a pancake. I cut everything into small pieces and we were sharing the plate. As we ate, I noticed an elderly gentlemen watching us.

Yes, I agreed to myself, my kids are exceptionally cute.

He approached us slowly saying "I couldn't help but notice....". I mentally filled in - how well behaved your children are, what good table manners they have, how darling they seem when I heard "....that you are sharing one plate. Do you need money for food?"

It's really a very nice story but HOW BAD DO YOU HAVE TO LOOK TO HAVE SOMEONE OFFER YOU MONEY FOR FOOD???

I stammered no thank you trying to explain it was a "BIG BREAKFAST", that we were ok, I was indeed saving money for their college eduction, we did have coats in the car, I wasn't homeless.... it was mortifying!!!!

On a somewhat related note, I've been thinking a lot about the pressure (real and imagined) Moms are under. We've all had the child throwing the temper tantrum in Wal-Mart, and we've all judged another Mom for her lack of parenting skills when we've seen her child throwing a tantrum in the same store. Stay at home mom vs. outside the home mom, home school vs. public school vs. private school, organic diet vs. prepared food, TV vs. No-TV. I think we should all look at each other and say You are a Mom and are doing the best you can. Go Mom Go!

And always be there to remind each other to shower and get out of the grubby kid stained T-shirt before a road trip!!

2 comments:

  1. Mary, I can't even imagine how absurd that situation must have been. Cracked me right up though. :)

    Cheers to moms honoring moms every day--not just in May.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary, I love your philosophy about moms lending support to other moms. That man must have really had to think about whether to ask you that question. Hopefully it was out of kindness and concern. Nice to know people are there to help and, hopefully, will find those that really do need it!

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Web Analytics