Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Best of BlogHer '11

So I went to this little enormous blog conference in San Diego three and a half weeks ago and haven't written a single word about it. No more. This is one of a few posts I hope to write in the next week or so. I hope you like 'em. If there is anything you'd like to know in particular, let me know.

Ree Drummond/Kathryn Finney/Lisa Stone

Best of BlogHer '11.

Nope this isn't a list post, it's the single best part of BlogHer--one moment, really one person.

Kathryn. Finney.

Kathryn blogs at The Budget Fashionista and she presented alongside Ree Drummond (The Pioneer Woman) for a two part workshop called My Blog As A Media Company that was one of several tracks of the BlogHer Pathfinder Day. I see that they are offering Pathfinder Day as an option at the conference next year and if you're planning to go to the conference I'd definitely recommend signing up.

Moving on to Kathryn and the Pathfinder Day...saying I'm not into fashion is the understatement of the year century and so I'll admit that before the workshop I didn't know too much about her. After, though I am such a huge fan. She is so open and honest with her journey here in blogland and beyond. She's encouraging and thoughtful and came across as someone who is truly here to help others grow and learn. She was upbeat, hopeful and I could have listened to her speak for the whole weekend.

I really just fell in love on so many levels.

I thought I'd share some of the truly great gems she shared throughout the day. If you ever have an opportunity to hear her speak, RUN don't walk!

  • Don't be afraid to begin. Swallow your fear. We all have to begin somewhere.
  • Where you begin may not be were you end up. (She started as an epidemiologist and ended up a budget fashion blogger.)
  • You have to set your vision. What are you about? How do you bring your blog back to that? It's okay to change directions.
  • I've always been my own person even when it's been a challenge to do that.
  • Feel empowered to say NO. Not every opportunity is going to be right for you.
  • Find when you are most inspired to write and make sure you have the tools to be excited to write.
  • Learn SEO, Google it, you can do it yourself!
What was the best thing you learned at BlogHer '11?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Real Time Web Analytics