Thursday, July 7, 2011

Capture the Everyday: Celebrating Freedom

Capturing the Everyday with Melissa over at Adventuroo again today. This week's prompt is appropriately "Celebrating Freedom". If you blog, you should totally come link up with us today.


I thought I'd take a moment today to capture the freedom of women. We as a gender have a long way to go in this country and around the world. But we've also come a looooooooooooooong way.

My mother had to petition the school board in high school to take drafting because young women were not allowed to take the course. Let that sink in a minute, she had to petition the school board to take a class in high school. Insane! She won by the way. Go Mom!

I celebrate the fact that I can choose to work outside the home, inside the home, as a stay-at-home mom or any combination in between.

I celebrate that I have interests outside my husband's and son's and that I do not have to ask for permission to be who I am.

I celebrate that I can speak my mind, express my opinions, blog for heaven's sake and not fear for my life. Not all women are so fortunate.

I celebrate all the women who made sure that I could have all of the privileges and freedoms that I do today.  I hope to live my life in a way that would make them proud.

What does "celebrating freedom" mean to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Real Time Web Analytics