Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Did you know?

The day I was discharged from the hospital after delivering Liam I clearly remember the moment I was wheeled out the doors and to the edge of the car. I was holding this adorable and fragile human being who was now almost a week old and THIS was the first time he had ever seen or felt the glorious warmth of sunshine. I remember every single thing about that moment. And, while I knew then that he had a whole lifetime of "firsts" ahead of him, some of them I never anticipated.

Like last week when I got out of the shower and found a toddler with his face 6 inches from daddy's digital alarm clock as giddy as can be.

"MAMMA!!! I'm watching the numbers change!"

And, then we laid there together for the next twenty-five minutes watching the numbers change. Trying to guess when they would change, and what number they would become. It hadn't occurred to me before that moment that he had never been there to witness the changing of a number on a clock or that it would be so monumentally exciting to him.

These are the moments that I love.

These are the moments I want to fill my heart to overflowing with.

The following day after a very quiet ride from a playground that is a good 15-20 minutes away (that he near daily begs to go to), he asks (my favorite start to a conversation)

"Mamma, did you know?"

"Did I know what, buddy?"

"Did you know that jellyfish sting?"

" (shocked) I did know that, I'm glad you do too."

Do you think he'll call me from college to ask me "Did you know?" followed by some bizarre fact? I hope so.

I love rediscovering the world with him.

 What do you love seeing through your child's eyes?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Real Time Web Analytics