Thursday, April 14, 2011

Home Sweet Home



"A song no one would expect you to love."

Everything about the song "I'll fly away" reminds me of my mom. As I've mentioned before she played dulcimer while I was growing up. I think she had 4 lap dulcimers and 2 hammer dulcimers for the better part of at least 10 years. She was a member of a group from the local hospital where she worked and they performed all over town at festivals and events. I was always proud that my mom could play a musical instrument and loved going along with her to bluegrass festivals all over the state.

Every year she would take me on a mother/daughter trip to Lima, Ohio for a weekend of dulcimer playing and it's one of my very favorite memories from childhood. She would go off and play with adults, I would stay back with other kids and learn to play dulcimer and penny whistle among other things.

Michigan has a thriving folk/bluegrass movement and so this song always reminds me of home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Real Time Web Analytics