Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Book Review: Curious Baby My First Nursery Songs

Credit: Courtesy of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company
"Curious Baby My First Nursery Songs" with Musical Art by H.A. Ray will take parents on a fond trip down memory lane as the book features 5 classic tunes from the childhoods of parents and grandparents alike. One of my favorite features of this book/CD are the classic depictions of Curious George and the nursery rhyme characters. In addition to providing the lyrics to each nursery rhyme, this book also includes clever musical notation, such as eggs instead of regular notes for Humpty Dumpty and Spiders for Little Miss Muffet.

Accompanying this book is a CD that showcases each nursery rhyme in three different ways: Music & Lyrics (Tracks 1-5), Music Only (Tracks 6-10) and a capella (Tracks 11-15). We enjoyed listening to the folk style renditions of these classic nursery rhymes and found the CD to be enjoyable for both casual listening around the house and lengthy car trips.

My only wish here was that there was a code for a download of the music instead of a CD—if it weren’t for an old laptop we wouldn’t have had any place to play it except in the car. We did give it a listen there, but it’s just so much more fun to follow along with the book.


If you would like to WIN A COPY of this book (I’ll even pay the shipping.) leave a comment below with your favorite nursery rhyme. Please be sure to leave your first and last name in your comment. Each person may leave up to two comments. Additional entries will not be counted when selecting a winner. A winner will be chosen at random on August 4, 2010 at 11:59pm. Tell your friends, tell your family--spread the word. Good Luck!

4 comments:

  1. Another good review. I'm very interested to see which nursery rhymes are included. Little Boy Blue was a fav of mine! Jan Enders

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review of the book - looks like a fun listen/read for toddlers! My favorite to sing with my daughter is the Itsy Bitsy Spider - I love watching her do the motions while she sings along!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I can't think of my favorite nursery rhyme, so I'll just say twinkle twinkle because it is the first thing that popped in my mind! ~Alisyne

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the art work on the cover. Anything by H. A. Rey with a little Curious George in the mix gets a thumbs up in our house!

    For some reason, certain nursery rhymes seem a little more mean spirited than I remember them being. Does anyone else feel this way? I sometimes try and find alternate phrases i.e: there was an old lady who swallowed a fly (oh me oh my instead of perhaps she'll die.) My little guy really likes Humpty Dumpty. Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall. Humpty Dumpty had a great fall. All the kings horses and all the kings men couldn't put humpty together again. At which point, he likes to fall down himself. We have had a few conversations about why they couldn't fix Humpty. The word fragile comes up quite a lot since he was an egg. And funny enough, when a friend of ours fell and broke there hip - Will said, Mr. G. is kind of like Humpty Dumpty. Kind of interesting. Adrienne

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Web Analytics