Tuesday, September 20, 2011

School Year Mornings

BuZzZZzzZzzzzZZZ.

Slam. Pound. Slap. Slap. Fidget.

It has been so long since I have had to use an alarm clock in any sort of reliable way that I can't even figure out how to turn the damn thing off anymore.

My alarm clock for the past three years has been a tiny little boy who squawked into the monitor and who now climbs on top of me, throws a ball at my head or stands inches from my face with a snack in hand begging that I open it. All of which are more gentle than the loud persistent buzzing of an alarm clock. 

When Liam started school last year, he was waking up on average at 5am and so there was no need to have an alarm then. But, this year--he's not really napping any more and so he is sleeping well past 5am these days (knock on wood) and two days a week I have had to set the dreaded beast.

I try hard to wake up before it goes off, because in my blind no-glasses stupor I seem to endlessly flop my arm in the general direction of the alarm clock with no real accuracy. And, once I do locate it I can't ever seem to remember which of the dozen or so buttons turns the thing off.

I guess it's just slowly preparing me for the days when I'll have to wake him up from a sweet slumber to go to school.

This morning no alarm clock was needed. He came out of his room, crawled into bed, wrapped my arms around him and asked if we could just snuggle all morning instead of get up for school.

Oh how I longed to say YES!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Real Time Web Analytics