Thursday, March 31, 2011

Capture the Everyday: Books

This week the challenge was "books"! What you're reading, sorta reading, just-can’t-finish, hoping-to-read. etc.

We love books in this house and have far more than any reasonably eco-conscious person should have. But, we also donate gobs and gobs to the library each and every year.

Let's be honest though, these days I read FAR more of the books on the right than I do of the books on the left. I'm a slave to non-fiction as is evidenced by the fact that each of the books on the left was currently occupying a spot on my bedside stand. Two about the concept of "pay it forward", BONK that was there a few weeks ago in the nightstand challenge. It's taking me a bit to work through the last half since it's especially graphic. I dare any man to make  it through the book without passing out. The red one is an autobiography of a former skinhead and Hollywood Hellraisers is a biography of some of the rough and tumble guys from Hollywood (think Jack Nicholson not James Franco).

So tell me about your "books"!




Capture the Everyday is about getting you to capture those everyday moments in your life! Each Thursday, Melissa at Adventuroo will issue a simple challenge to capture something that’s a part of your daily life. You can post just a picture or add some words to go along with it. You’ll have a week to get it done and then I’ll issue another. It’s a quick, easy way to start capturing those little parts of life we sometimes take for granted.

15 comments:

  1. Wow- you have some I've never heard of before! Bonk sounds right up my alley. Sheesh- I'm getting so many good ideas from you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seem to not carve out ANY time for the books on the left anymore. Not good. :(

    As far as books on the right, I currently love reading a Charlie & Lola book my son chose from the public library because I get to use my AMAZING English accent.

    I just have to read it to him when my husband isn't around because his laughing drowns out my reading. Personally, I think my little swings into Scottish, Australian, Irish and Southern (???) give Charlie & Lola character.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I totally am so relieved to see a pile of books. I have a huge pile, an entire shelf of to-read, and then some, so seeing loads of books makes me happy! :) I probably SHOULD have taken pics of the books I read w/my daughter, though, since those are a daily indulgence.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Doh! **smacks head** I should have added all the kiddo books, the ones I read each and every day over and over until I can recited them with my eyes closed.
    And you're ahead of the game 'cause at least you still have a pile on the left:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My night stand currently has a large pile of magazines, Michael J Fox's autobiography, a nicholas sparks book, mayo guide to healthy pregnancy, two journals (one for each kid) and the book i'm currently reading - The Art of Racing in the Rain - which i'm really liking! Noah's books have taken over the house and can be found everywhere. I stopped reading(adult books) the first year and half of noah's life, but am really enjoying getting back into it! ~Alisyne

    ReplyDelete
  6. This seems to be a topic that many people are interested and excited about! I can hardly function for an hour without having something to read...Kind of reminds me of something Tim said when he was about seven. We were out for a hike crossing a little bridge over a stream and at the bottom of the stream was a stone with some words engraved into it...he looked at it, read the words out loud, and said" I just can't help it...if I see words, I just have to read them! Anywho, I'm usually reading two or three books at once and also prefer non-fiction and love biographies. I'm reading "A Freewheelin Time" right now, a memoir by Bob Dylan's girlfriend in the early sixties, who died a couple of weeks ago. Love historical fiction too. Jan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your stack looks a lot like mine!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great photo! I agree with Suz above...your stacks look a lot like mine too. The board books FAR out weigh the adult books. What is Bonk about? I'm intrigued...

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ Melissa and Alexia: Bonk is about "The curious coupling of science and sex.". Amy Roach interviews all the folks who do the myriad kinds of sex research...it's pretty interesting for the most part.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @ RealMommyChron: I love that you read with an English accent. I have one book that I read as a spoken word piece and likewise can't read it when Tim is around. His laughter drowns out my dramatic interpretation.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @ Andrea: Yeah, since kids books are such a staple around here I figured I had to include them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. @ Alisyne: I've tried to read the Michael J. Fox book a few times and just couldn't stick it out. I think he's a great guy though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. @ Jan: I think I could really get into historical fiction. The Help was my first foray into it and I really liked that book.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love reading and need to do more. I decided that I need to make time to get to the library alone so I have time to pick out some books or myself! All these titles sound interesting. I love historical fiction as well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ah, so true! We could stack kids' books to the ceiling in this house. And I always love discovering new ones. Sounds like you have adventurous taste in books -- I'm intrigued by Bonk, especially. :)

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Web Analytics