Thursday, November 25, 2010

Wishbone

When I was a child, there were many things about Thanksgiving that I looked forward to, but nothing so much as the day AFTER Thanksgiving. That was when my brothers and sister and I would fight over who would participate in the annual wishbone contest. (My mother would have taken the wishbone out of the turkey and let it dry on a counter overnight so it would become suitably brittle.) On Friday, inevitably, there were two happy contestants and two resentful bystanders for this event. The two winners would each take a "leg" of the wishbone and pull, simultaneously making a wish. The bone would break, and whoever had the bigger portion of the bone had the luxury of believing his/her wish would be granted.

So, this year I've been thinking about wishes and what I really long for in life, and I've realized that all my "wishes" have already been granted! As hokey as that sounds, I do feel blessed to have family and friends who are there for me in good times and bad. And I don't even have to fight anyone over who gets to pull on that wishbone!

Anne Sullivan

2 comments:

  1. I love this tradition too. It was definitely a highlight of my childhood...and my adulthood too. :)

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this tradition, but kinda like you there were many kids who wanted to partake (us grandkids at my grandparents) and since I was the youngest I was usually ousted and it hurt my feelings :o) so now I have mixed emotions about the wishbone hehe ~ Alisyne

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Web Analytics