Thursday, November 25, 2010

Gratitude

This Thanksgiving I am especially grateful for the restoration of my home after a series of frustrating and damaging floods hit my townhouse in 2009 and 2010. The unexpected issue first revealed itself during the torrential rains of Memorial Day weekend 2009. Extensive damage and black mold necessitated the removal of much flooring, insulation, and drywall, and began what I never imagined would drag on into over a year and a half of legal proceedings and meetings with contractors while living on the bare, concrete slab. Eighteen months, 3 landscape architects, 1 civil engineer, 1 structural engineer, 3 potential law suits, 2 grouchy neighbors, 1 settlement agreement, 1 easement/right of way, and what feels like 7,000 trips to Home Depot later, my Home Owner's Association finally approved an elaborate drain design, which was successfully installed last August. This was very exciting since it meant I could proceed with renovating the interior of my home without any fear of further flooding. I am thankful to say that the restoration is complete!

I could not have made it through the delays and setbacks of the last year without the support of my dear family and friends. Whether they cut away drywall, pulled up flooring, lent dehumidifiers, lent advice, planted landscaping, lifted heavy furniture, or lifted my head, their selflessness and prayers helped me through to the day that I could once again call my house a home and fill it with the company of loved ones. I wish to thank each of them, and thank God for his provision and strength during a difficult time. I never thought I would be so excited about a floor!

With thanks and celebration, Happy Thanksgiving!

Bevin

2 comments:

  1. Hooray! I am so glad to hear that your house is finally a home again.

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to hear everything is done now, too. On a much smaller scale (just our basement flooded) I understand the hassle! ~ Alisyne

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Web Analytics