Thursday, November 25, 2010

Unexpected Renewal

"Women are like tea bags. We don't know our true strength until we are in hot water." -Eleanor Roosevelt

If you would have asked me a couple of months ago what I was thankful for the list would probably be pretty similar to what most people out there would say. I would say, my faith, my family and friends, and my health. I would talk about how blessed I am to have such an amazing group of people around me all of the time including our awesome church. I adore my husband and we have such an amazing supportive relationship as well. I would have talked about how my husband and kids are such a light in my life bringing laughter, hope, and crazy unconditional love.

All that remains true, but about a month ago I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer. My initial reaction was "No. Too busy, sorry, don't have time right now. God don't you know that I have three little kids? Ok, so I have cancer, just cut it out of me and let me go on with my life. What I need a mastectomy? Oh, it is aggressive, so I need chemo?" Of course it was followed by me asking God to take this and help me through whatever I needed to get through. Having gone through other trials and seeing others go through far worse and difficult trials I decided that the only way to do this was by having a positive attitude and making the best of it.

By that I mean actually being thankful for this. I am thankful that I can research and learn whatever I need to know so easily. I am thankful that my health with actually improve through all this because of the crazy healthy concoctions I am putting into my body, and hopefully I can get that regular exercise part down!

Most importantly I am thankful for how this is bringing me closer to all of my amazing family members, friends, church,and strangers I never knew reaching out to me and my family. We have been invited to dinner, brought and sent amazing and inspirational care packages, and just enjoying one another and others.

I am thankful that this is building my faith muscles. I have never felt so loved by God, I can feel His supernatural warm embrace surrounding me every moment of every day. It is evident that He is working through the doctors and providing me with amazing people and care at every turn. I am thankful that through this trial I can learn and grow and in weakness and be a better person in every way when this is done!

Finally, I am thankful that my surgery is going to go well and I will heal amazingly and that I will not feel sick throughout my treatments! So, here's to health, happiness, and getting stronger in the nitty gritty! Happy Thanksgiving!

You can read more about Allison's Journey at Fueled By Love.

5 comments:

  1. You're a ROCK, Allison! Praying your treatments and healing go smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jen! Encouraging words are like precious medicine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love you so much! You are so strong and we admire you so much!-Britt

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are one of the BEST people I have ever met. You are inspiring hundreds of people every day with how bravely you have walked into this battle.

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Web Analytics